Affordable Ad Rates

Affordable Ad Rates
Email ufoma2toyin@gmail.com

Thursday, 15 October 2015

Jamaican Marlon James Wins 2015 Man Booker Prize

Jamaican author Marlon James has won the 2015 Man Booker Prize for his novel, 'A Brief History of Seven Killings.' The 680 page epic was  inspired by the attempted assassination of Bob Marley in the 1970s. The judges described ‘A Brief History of Seven Killings’ as an extraordinary book, voting it the winner in a unanimous decision.

James was announced as the winner of the £50,000 prize in London on Tuesday, and is the first Jamaican author to win the Man Booker Prize. His first novel, John Crow’s Devil, was rejected 78 times by publishers, before it was eventually published in 2005. 

"I'm not an easy writer to like and I remember the lengths I went to just to get my voice heard," the Jamaican author said after accepting the award at London's Guildhall."Almost exactly 10 years ago, I had given up my writing. I had written a novel and deleted it and destroyed it." Then he met author Kaylie Jones who, after hearing about his discarded manuscript, insisted on reading it. After much searching, he unearthed a version of the novel "on an old laptop in an Outlook Express outbox" and Jones had it published.

"I am eternally grateful to her," James said. I sort of gave up on writing and the idea that people wanted to hear these stories. It is kind of affirming, especially because this is the riskiest novel I've ever written and not just in terms of subject matter but in terms of form. The 44-year-old author was presented with his prize by the Duchess of Cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment