Affordable Ad Rates

Affordable Ad Rates
Email ufoma2toyin@gmail.com

Sunday, 7 December 2014

Pastor Sam Adeyemi On Marriage, Family and Ministry

Pastor Sam Adeyemi is the Senior Pastor, Daystar Christian Centre, Lagos. He also anchors ‘Success Power,’ a motivational programme on radio and TV.  He spoke about marriage, family and ministry in a recent Punch interview. Read excerpts below:

What are your thoughts on family and marriage institution?As someone who teaches success and studies other people, I have come to realise that you can’t change anybody. Many marriages break up because a lot of people are busy trying to change the other person and it never works; only God can change a person. I will always take a strong stand for family; it’s the primary institution that God built in the formation of society. Once something goes wrong in the family, everything goes wrong in the society. I want to encourage young people to marry and not only focus on the bad examples where things have gone wrong. Marriage is the place where you build character because it will challenge you.

How are you able to strike a balance between ministry and the home front?How I invest my time and money is a reflection of the things that are most important to me. When the church was very young and our kids were also very young, I used to go everywhere preaching and by the time I got home, they would be asleep. I sensed something was wrong. I thought to myself that they won’t be kids forever and if I miss the opportunity to influence them now, I would be the one chasing them tomorrow and I would find it difficult to catch them.

So I turned down the invitations and fixed a time in the year when all of us go away. During that time, there would be no phones, counselling, preaching, and because they know their parents are public figures, they relish those moments fully. Naturally, because I am in ministry and leadership, the demands are heavy; I am invited to speak all over the world, all I do is prioritise— God comes first, then family is next and then work. Whenever I plan my year, I set my goals: First, it is my spiritual life; family, vacation, birthdays, kids’ school dates, resumption, half-term, etc are all in my dairy before the church programme gets in there. Then, whatever space is left, I can take in invitations from people. I love to spend time with my family, it is the most fulfilling time I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment