Affordable Ad Rates

Affordable Ad Rates
Email ufoma2toyin@gmail.com

Saturday, 2 August 2014

I Was a Cleaner and Waitress Before The Competition - Nigerian Idol Winner Zibili Evelyn

Zibili Evelyn Ibhade won this year’s edition of Nigerian Idol, a musical talent hunt show. In a recent interview, the 23 year old opened up about her life before the competition. She was once a kitchen assistant, cleaner and waitress just to make ends meet. She even learnt about the competition while doing these jobs. Read excerpts below: 

How did you learn about the competition?
I heard about the show at the place where I was working as cleaner, kitchen assistant and waitress. I got a call from a friend, who told me about the competition. Before then, I had featured in Project Fame, X Factor and others, but I never got past the first stage. God being so wonderful, I just went for Nigerian Idol for the first time and I got picked.

Can you tell me about your family background?
I am from a family of 8; the first from behind. I am from a musical family; I grew up listening to my father singing in a traditional band. So, music has always been a part of me.

You didn't mention anything about your education....
I dropped out of school when I was in JSS 3 not because I wanted to do music, but because of financial constraints. I tried to do a lot of studio works to make up for my school fees, but it didn't work out. So, I had to pause. Nobody believes me when I tell them that I dropped out of school and had to depend on friends for personal development. Then, I used to tell my friends that if I speak English erroneously, please correct me. 



What’s the secret behind your victory, because it was glaring that barely a week to the grand finale, you were getting low votes?

Sincerely, I didn’t think I was going to win the competition because of the low responses from the public. It was nothing but God’s grace. When I got into the competition, I met many people with wonderful voices, but God put me through it all.
Any plans to go back to school?
(Laughs) Of course. I have started enrolling into a school in New York to study Sound Engineering.

What aspect of life furnishes your inspiration?
I get inspired most times by my life experience because I have been through a lot. Trust me, I have been through good and bad times in life.

1 comment:

  1. Evelyn! That's God's grace at work for you, don't forget your past and be focused.

    ReplyDelete