Affordable Ad Rates

Affordable Ad Rates
Email ufoma2toyin@gmail.com

Saturday, 26 July 2014

LAUTECH Best Graduating Student - 'I Wanted To Be The Best, So My Aim Was to Be The Best'

Awonbiowo Abiola was this year's best graduating student at the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology. The 23 year old graduate of Medicine reveals that her goal was to turn out as the best. Read excerpts from her interview with the Punch.

What major decision(s) did you take when you entered school, which helped you?
I made up my mind in my first year not to disappoint the poor woman who struggled to put food on the table for me, covered me with clothing and suffered to pay my fees. I lost my father when I was 12, but my mother never allowed me lack anything. So, I felt the only thing I could do for her was to be serious with my academics and make her proud. I just didn’t want to be a good student; I wanted to be the best, so my aim was to be the best. Whenever I looked at her, I felt I owed her that; to make her proud.

What were the challenges you faced?The journey to success is never an easy one, sometimes you are tired but because of the drive, you keep going. There was a time things were not going on well with my family financially in my second year in the university, I had to borrow textbooks to read. During my clinical year, the university teaching hospital was closed down for 2 years, which made me spend 9 years for a 6-year course without failing or repeating any class.


What part of your course was most challenging?
The most challenging to me of the courses was pathology; it was like 4 in 1, histopathology, medical microbiology, haematology and chemical pathology, and as I said, I love challenges, so I had a distinction in the course.

When did you start leading your class?
I started having good grades from my first year.

At what point did you know you would be the best graduating student?
After my final MBBS exams.

What did you do differently that gave you an edge over others?

Determination, hard work, perseverance and prayers. My aim was to be the best graduating student in my set.

What was your happiest moment?
My happiest moment was the day I was told I made distinction in pathology after 30 minutes on the hot seat with about 15 professors.

Was there any form of reward from your mother for doing well, like cash or material gift?
The reward I got from my mum for doing well was a smile on her face, which was the best I could wish for.

What is your advice to students?
God has endowed us with different potential to fulfill our destiny but we can only maximise the potential through hard work. Define what you want in life and set your goals. The only obstacle to your goal is yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment