Affordable Ad Rates

Affordable Ad Rates
Email ufoma2toyin@gmail.com

Friday, 6 June 2014

Graduate Returns to Orphanage That Gave Him a Chance at Life

Akinyemi Ephraim George is a graduate of Accounting from the Crawford University in Igbesa, Ogun State. He has just completed the mandatory 1-year National Youth Service. He joined his Batch B corps members serving in Lagos State on a visit to the Little Saints Orphanage Home to give back as part of their social responsibility. Little did they know that their colleague, George, grew up in that same orphanage many years ago. Read below:

The visit may just have been routine for others but for George, it was nostalgic. Had he not been brought to Little Saints Orphanage about 15 years ago, he may not be a graduate today. The young man remembers little of his biological family. “I came to the orphanage when I was 10. I learnt my mother got pregnant for my dad and she abandoned me. But my father picked me up and took me to his home and my step mother brought me up. Because of the way she maltreated me, I was pushed out. I left home at six. My step mother sent me to hawk. I lost some money and she told me to go and look for it. I lost my way and could not go back. I roamed the streets for about two years before the police brought me here,” he said.

George, whose surname is George, like every other child in the orphanage after the founder, Mrs Dele George, described growing up at the home as perfect. “Everything has been given to me by Rev Mrs Dele George. I did not lack anything. When I was in primary school and a teacher used to refer to me and others as orphans derogatorily, Mrs George went to the school to warn them that we have been adopted by her so should not be called orphans. I am doing well. The orphanage has done enough for me,” he said. However, George admitted that he sometimes felt emotional when he saw other parents visiting their wards during his university days.



Would he like to be reunited with his parents despite the neglect he experienced as a child? “Yes,” he said. “Because of the love of God, I will forgive and accept them. But I don’t know if they are alive or not.” Now that he has been educated, George wants to give back to the orphanage that gave him so much. “During my NYSC, I was able to acquire some skills. I learnt to make cocktail, small chops and Chapman. After service, I want to do my ICAN so I can become chartered, and my masters. Before then, I hope to get a job so I can give back to the orphanage,” he said.

George already has a job waiting and may only be learning of it now he has completed his NYSC. Mrs George, founder of the orphanage said the offer was made by visitors to the home. “He already has a job waiting for him so we are very happy about it. It came from some people who visited the orphanage and saw him. It is a very good job,” she said.

Source - Osun Defender

No comments:

Post a Comment