Affordable Ad Rates

Affordable Ad Rates
Email ufoma2toyin@gmail.com

Thursday, 15 May 2014

Nigeria's Damilola Odule And Her Passion for Artisan Jewelry and Craft

Meet Damilola Odule, a young female entrepreneur and CEO of Esho crafts. Jewelry making was borne out of her passion for crafts and the desire to work with her hands. Read excerpts of her interview with the tribune below:

What prompted  your journey into jewelry making?

I started making beads when I was in secondary school but I dropped it when I gained admission into the university but I picked it up again when I was in 300 Level. I decided to learn wire jewellery to enhance my bead making skills, I then went further by learning gold and silver smithing which took me through different processes of learning and facilitators. I am still in the process of learning.

What’s your educational background?
I am a graduate of Pure and Applied Chemistry from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology

How much did you start with?
I started my business with N4,700, which bought me three pliers and three wires with a strand of beads.


Have you ever felt like giving up?
Sure! Many times for a long time after I started, nobody bought a single piece of jewellery from me, so I started giving them out as gifts. Afterwards, some people bought and didn’t pay on time and some didn’t pay at all, so it was frustrating. Another challenge I had was getting people who could sponsor the training that I was doing for the less privileged. I remember those days going from one sponsor to the other, dropping letters in those days. There was a time I met a man who thought he was doing me a favour by sponsoring 6 people and wanted me to sleep with him, which I turned down. There were so many other experiences like that.

I learnt you participated in ‘You win’, a package by the government to support young brands?
Yes I did, my aunt told me about the programme and I entered for it. It has really helped in shaping my business and giving me the right leverage to take my business to the next level.

What other passion do you have?
I love to decorate and arrange things, so I decided to take a course in interior design to enhance my skills. So, I am also into interior designs.

Advice for young entrepreneurs?
Keep doing what you know how to do best, believe in yourself, be hardworking, don’t give up, be consistent.

1 comment:

  1. Yes young ones, keep doing your best and don't give up.

    ReplyDelete