Affordable Ad Rates

Affordable Ad Rates
Email ufoma2toyin@gmail.com

Thursday, 8 May 2014

Nigerian Students Who are Embracing Entrepreneurship While Getting a Degree

This report by Temitayo Famutimi of The Punch newspaper is quite interesting and inspiring. Young people must choose vision and focus for their lives while working hard to achieve their dreams and being successful. The report reveals some hard-working and inspiring students who defying the tight schedules of an academic environment to embrace entrepreneurship and acquire business acumen.

One of those students is 19-year-old Miss Adepeju Okunuga, a final year Accounting student of the Babcock University, Ilishan Remo, Ogun State. Adepeju whose father is a lawyer and mother an insurance practitioner, is known among her peers on campus as a tailor. She learnt the art of fashion designing during her first 2 summer breaks as an undergraduate. She says, “I started learning how to sow from my 100 level summer break which lasted for 4 months, and by the time I got to my third year, I had perfected the skill of making clothes.

Explaining how she goes about making the clothes, especially since the university operates strict rules, Okunuga says she uses the single weekend break that every student is entitled to in a month to work on the orders placed by her customers. “I don’t usually have time for other things during these weekends I am off campus. I do the sewing all day as soon I get all the materials from the market. Sometimes, I work all through the night to meet with the demands. This is especially so because I have to get back to school on Sunday."



As the class representative, Okunuga, who has 2 sewing machines and a weaving machine, says she ensures that there are no classes on Fridays to enable her to head for home to meet with customers’ demands.Noting that she bills them – customers – depending on their sizes, preferred styles and its complexity, Okunuga hints that for every trip she makes in a month, she realises nothing less than N40,000 as profit.

As the Ikenne, Ogun State-born lady plans to defend her final year project soon, she confesses that she will go into the vocation full time on completion of her studies. “Sincerely, I’ll love to secure a suitable paid employment after my National Youth Service Corps scheme. But in truth, the chances of securing a job in the country are slim. “I will like to focus more on fashion designing. Now that I am combining it with my schoolwork it is paying off; if I devote more time to it and acquire more knowledge, I will really grow in the vocation. With time, patience and hard work, I will become successful at it.”

Another student, a 400 level student of the Redeemers’ University, Ogun State, Funmi Shodipe, who has an Internet radio station, rhemaexpressradio.com, explains that she received an approval from the university authorities before she started the project. “I did a presentation to introduce my idea to the university before I started. It is not something you can do and they won’t get to know about it later.
The university management was quite impressed and they in turn supported me with N50, 000 and provided me an office that I used as a studio,”
the final year Mass Communication student adds.

The 9-month-old online radio, which promotes  godly values and expressions, is already yielding her money from advertisements and live streaming. She says she made N100,000 in the last 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment